Where It All Began
The Demarest Police Department was brought into being by Municipal Ordinance No. 90, approved by the Borough Council on June 20th, 1928. Prior to this time, law enforcement was accomplished through the use of the marshall system which was based on citizen-volunteers who served as part-time peace officers for a small fee. Much depended on the availability of these men as moments of need arose.
One of these marshalls, Mr. Carrol Potter, was appointed as Demarest first Chief of Police when the department was established. He served in this capacity until his death in 1935.